Thursday 4 September 2014

Vinyl: Desert Island Discs

"...what really matters is what you like, not what you are like... Books, records, films - these things matter."

The ownership of a record player raises the obvious and important question - which albums do I want (or need) to own on vinyl? I like collecting things so this has dangerous cost implications and must be carefully controlled! I have a very large digital music collection which will remain as the body of the collection, in fact I don't imagine owning any thing on vinyl that I don't already have on some other medium.

So (and excuse the pretension here) but the record collection will be reserved for albums that warrant listening to in their entirety and not just hearing piecemeal. Albums which will benefit from the visceral experience and depth of sound (again excuse the pretension). Favourite albums which are the heart of the collection.

So what is (or would be) in your collection?

If I was a more measured man I might try to limit myself to a new album a month/quarter/year but I don't have that kind of discipline so I'll make no such promise. My (more in depth) thoughts on what I might buy will follow and after that I might even review some vinyl!

1 comment:

stayingawhile said...

I think favourite albums are a great way to go. Albums that have been thought about as a piece of vinyl in particular, so even little nods, like OK Computer where the sides are Eenie Meenie Miney and Mo, add something as well. So there are lots of good reasons for seeing and getting something. I very much like second hand vinyl as well, as well as the original issues. But it's too easy to get hung up on individual pressings, like some vintage of wine (discogs can unhelp you here), most important is that you are going to like it as a thing as well as a piece of music.